Facebook “F-Commerce” enables consumers to purchase online using Social Media: but is it a bust?
Last year Facebook launched a new platform for online purchasing through their Social Media platform called F-“commerce”. Many large retailers jumped on board to sell using this new distribution channel without understanding Social Media, and those who use it.
In a recent Bloomberg article GamesStop & J.C. Penny were cited as halting their Facebook store presences after disappointing sales. The article inferred that major retailers pulling out was a result of a poorly designed strategy by Facebook as a company, and would weaken their proposed upcoming IPO. The real story is that the failure of Retail stores launching into Facebook e-commerce is a lack of their own understanding their digital audience.
Retailers enter the world of Social Media marketing without an understanding of the unique buying patterns of their visitors. They offer nothing new: no novel product or content, duplicating efforts found on their company websites or in the store.
Here are five tips for Retailers looking to use Social Media-
Retailers may want to consider:
1) Selling specialty items: hard to find or rate items not found in the store will keep existing shoppers excited, while bringing in new customers that might not normally shop at the physical stores.
2) Selling overstocked items: retail outlets can reduce inventory and cut storage costs by creating an outlet for products that are not flying of the shelves as fast as they would like, or selling used items as well.
3) Providing discounts not already found on website or in store: unique discounts, special offers, and linking them to QR codes on printed marketing materials.
4) Posting unique content: original news items, articles, customized Facebook apps & games, that keep viewers coming back for more. Creating a “Like Us” tab to showcase video and pictures combined with an opt-in email/newsletter sign-up. These allow for more advertising opportunities as well.
5) Incentivize sharing with friends: referral programs, “Like Us” programs traded for discounts, and integrating Social Media icons & links into every company email (both for corporate & employee sales teams).
Contact GANZ Media to see how we can help launch your Social Media Campaigns!